The Watershed Center Grand Traverse Bay has been working on Kids Creek-related projects since July 2003 and continues today. Currently, a 2-mile portion of Kids Creek is on the State Impaired Waters List due to sedimentation, flow regime alteration and other human-caused activities – all of which are related to stormwater runoff.
Much of the project over the last few years has coincided with the preparation for and construction of the new Cowell Family Cancer Center on the northern part of Munson Medical Center’s campus. A new $598,000 grant from the Michigan DEQ will allow us to continue installing green infrastructure and low-impact development techniques on Munson’s campus to reduce stormwater runoff to the creek.
Recent activities include:
- Installation of a new rain garden, tree box planters and pourous pavement parking area by
- Installation of a 3,304 square-foot green roof on the Cowell Family Cancer Center.
- Installation of two sets of underground infiltration trenches at the Cowell Family Cancer Center construction site. When completed, the infiltration trenches will filter stormwater runoff from the cancer center roof and parking lot, preventing its diversion into storm drains. The infiltration trenches consist of an underground pipe with holes set in a bed of gravel and can hold up to 240,000 gallons of water. Water flows into the pipes then slowly infiltrates into the ground.
- Daylighting and naturalizing a 900 foot section of Kids Creek running through the Munson Campus.
- Creation of almost 1/4 mile of natural meandering stream
- Elimination of 72,000 square-feet (1.25 football fields)
- Creation of a 15-30 foot wide buffer that was planted with native flowers and shrubs.
- Establishment of a 27,000 square-foot (.62 acre) floodplain
Activities in 2015 will include construction of Low Impact Development and green infrastructure (rain gardens, green roofs, pervious pavement) to further reduce the cancer center’s stormwater impact.
Project funders include:
- US EPA Great Lakes Restoration Initiative grant
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality Nonpoint Source grant
- Munson Medical Center
- Great Lakes Fisheries Trust
- Oleson Foundation
You can also read about our 2003-2005 Kids Creek Restoration near Great Wolf Lodge and Kohl’s.
Top image courtesy of Munson Medical Center