Safe Septic Systems
Thousands of homes in the Grand Traverse Bay watershed rely on septic systems to treat their wastewater. Keeping your septic system in good working order can help keep E. Coli from reaching our waters.
- Have your septic tank pumped every four years
- Never flush diapers, paper towels, feminine hygiene products, condoms,cigarette butts, kitty litter, food or other items down the toilet. The only things that should be flushed down the toilet are bodily wastes and toilet paper.
- Avoid washing food scraps, grease and cooking oils down the drain.
- Never put hazardous wastes such as unused medicines, motor oil, automotive fluids, paints, solvents or cleaners down the drain.
- Space heavy water use activities out over several days, such as doing laundry.